Information for forest landowners
Private forest landowners are sometimes confused about what options they have for the management of their forests or threatened non-forest native vegetation. In order to make management decisions easier for private landowners, the FPA has gathered together the information relevant to vegetation management here. The PFT website is also a useful resource.
Once you have established that you require a forest practices plan, it is advisable to contract a Forest Practices Officer to prepare it for you. The legislation, policies and regulations supporting the forest practices system are complex. By employing an FPO you will ensure that your plan is legally compliant. FPOs can be contacted through the consulting FPO register.
Clearing carried out in accordance with the Tasmania Fire Service's Guidelines for clearing vegetation to provide a reasonable buffer for existing infrastructure or for public safety does not require a forest practices plan, but landowners should check with the Forest Practices Regulations and with their local council regarding any restrictions under local planning schemes.
- forest practices plans: information for landholders and applicants leaflet
- Application fee for FPP - Information sheet
- flowchart for landowners to determine whether forestry activities are possible or not upon certain classes of land
- a practical guide for planning approvals
- information on clearing and conversion of land (this information sheet explains the Forest Practices Regulations)
- the Forest Practices regulations 2017 (link to the legislation)
- FPA policy on assessing the following exemptions of when a forest practices plan is not required for: a conservation covenant or a vegetation management agreement; afire management program; and an environmental management system
- threatened native vegetation information sheets: these include information on how to identify threatened native vegetation and what you can do if they are found on your property
- a short outline of the forest practices system (brochure version) - please contact the FPA for free copies of this brochure
- a short outline of the forest practices system (A4 printable version)
- the Forest Practices Code can be downloaded here or bought from some Service Tasmania outlets
- Planned Burning for Farmers and Landholders
- Productive forest management, a YouTube video by a Forest Practices Officer which explains how the forest practices system was applied to a Bruny coupe.
Content last modified July 23, 2019, 4:34 pm