The main legislation that guides us is the Forest Practices Act 1985.
Other legislation and policies
The forest practices system is designed to complement and work with other land use policies and legislation, which need to be considered when planning for forestry operations. They include:
- Forest Practices Regulations 2017
- Tasmanian Threatened Species Protection Act 1995
- Tasmanian Regional Forest Agreement
- Tasmanian Permanent Native Forest Estate Policy
- Tasmanian Nature Conservation Act 2002
- Commonwealth Environment Protection Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999
- Inland Fisheries Act 1995.
The Guidelines for exemptions under Forest Practices Regulation 4 provide interpretation about the Forest Practices Regulations 2017.